Dust Tactics: Pounder - Medium Combat Walker M2-C

One of the appeals of Dust Tactics universe is the 'Walkers'. Not zombies but walking tanks.

The M2 Combat Walker is the most successful of all the allied combat walkers. It first went into production in 1945 and the Pounder fields the heaviest gun they could mount on the chassis.

The Pounder Medium Combat Walker M2-C fields a turret mounted 17 pounder, a pintel mounted 50 cal Victory MG and forward facing .30 Cal Victory MG.

The model can be fielded with four variants, the Pounder as shown, a howitzer bearing 'Mickey', an artillery version equipped with a Petard Mortar and 4.2" rockets 'Steel Rain' and the anti-infantry napalm spitting 'Hot Dog'. All 4 variants can be fielded with the bits in the box and the parts are interchangeable, even when painted.


This model was painted using the hairspray method, however I have to admit a mistake, one that is worth sharing.

I was in a bit of a rush when I painted this and didn't take enough time to prep when I airbrushed it. As a consequence, the paint was too thin and didn't quite cover the well enough, so I topped it up with some matt white from a spray can. Big mistake. Where I'd used the spray can to cover up the parts with poor coverage, I was unable to remove the pain with warm water and a brush. Dr Google soon explained - paint thickness and microns... lesson, don't try the hairspray method with a spray can, only an airbrush.

The rest of the weathering was a combination of sponging, washes, dry-brushing and pencil. I'm pleased with the overall look, although I had intended for the model to have move of the original 'under the whitewash' colour showing.

12 comments:

  1. That is an awesome piece of kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thakns Michael, they are pretty a good fun concept and the model really works. It was fun to paint too, always a plus

      Delete
  2. Mistake or not, it looks great dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking model, despite the invisible (to me anyway) "mistake"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe, I'm guessing I kinda got away with it! :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely model. Adam, and I'm another who never spotted your "mistake."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. It's more noticable on the chassis and legs, where you can see there is much less of the original green base-coat showing through. On the turret, I had to paint quite a bit more green on to make it look as through it had worn through, rather than actually showing through when you remove the white.

      Delete
  5. Great paint work! have to say the attraction for dust is the walkers there so cool looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Smillie. I admit I'm rather fond of them myself.

      Delete