Incursion: 3D Play Set - Part 5

So with both Incursion gaming boards marked out and most of the floor tiles in place I went to work on sorting out some walls to give the board it's true 3D feel.

I stuck to a pretty simple method of using foam-core and wood glue, pinning as I glue and removing the pins once dry. I picked up a set of dressmaking pins for making LARP costumes and have honestly found as much, if not more, use making foam-core buildings. I suspect using expanded polystyrene or solid foam insulation might have been quicker, but once I'd started, I deceided to finish it that way.

Walls shown in situ. 40mm based miniature for scale.
It was fun for about the first 3-4 blocks, then it got a bit tedious, perhaps because there was so much ahead. Many weird world war 2 soundtracks were played and many cups of tea were drunk in the making of the rest of them.

I kept the height of the walls to 50mm, with an additional 5mm top. sat on the same surface as the cork tiles, so total actual height ended up around 53mm. Just high enough above the height of a standard model to feel like a wall but not too high so I couldn't get my fingers in to move them around.


12 comments:

  1. This is looking really smart, I look forward to seeing it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Smillie, it's getting there, slow but sure

      Delete
  2. Coming along nicely dude.
    Should look great when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Desperate to get it done, but being as patient as I can Bob. Glad you like it

      Delete
  3. Very nice. Thanks for taking us through your steps of construction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay. It's taken a while, so I thought I might as well show it as things progress

      Delete
  4. Really looking forward to seeing this fella when it's done, dude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dude, getting there... bit by bit!

      Delete
  5. The tedium will e worth it in the end, great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. It normally always is. I've found it quite theraputic and oddly whilst it's a project I've been desperate to finish, taking my time with it has been rather enjoyable. No enforced deadline this time

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, hope it continues to inspire and excite.

      Delete