Dust Tactics: 3D Gaming Board - Frozen Water Boards WIP

The Victory Bridge campaign that comes with the Dust Tactics: Revised Core Set is focussed on a series of encounters in and around a key crossing; Victory Bridge.

Although I actually played through this campaign when I first starting playig this game using the map tiles the water features the maps depict and the bridges do feature in other campaign seenarios. So to go wiht my Dust Tactics 3D Game Board I wanted to make sure I had all the resources to play those other scenarios too.

I looked through the scenario maps from all of the campaign expansions I have (I'm missing just a few of the newest ones) there appeared to only ever be two water boards shown in any of the scenarios.

Dust Tactics is primarily winter themed so I wanted something to reflect that, so a quick few google images seraches and I quickly decided that ice floes fit the bill.

For simplicity's sake I used the same methods I had already been using. Having played around with cork tiles quite a bit recently I thought I might as well make use of the materials to hand. I'd already made up two standard battened 6mm MDF boards to match the others in preparation, so all I had to do was get a smooth (ish) finish and then start sticking 'random' irregular pieces of cork onto the board.

Ice Floe Board. WIP
The plan is to paint the whole thing white, with some pastel aquatic water shades washed/blended into the ice itself, and to use blues and green (gloss varnished) on the actual water.

16 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see this finished. I'm sure it'll look awesome. Anyway, you're certainly off to a great start, Adam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. It's one of those projects for which the inspiration just hit one day and I felt it was a must do! Quite excited about it really.

      Delete
  2. It's looking great and I can't wait to see it painted!

    Are there any special rules for those boards? I don't know how big this board really is (seems huge though!) , did you think about placing miniatures on it or just went with the flow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mathyoo. Thank you. The special rules are, in reality, the board simple represents water. But seeing as the games started out as winter themed, it seemed obvious to make them ice floes. Planes and helicopters can still occupy 'spaces' on the board, although I've actually not marked them out. Each of the two boards is approximately 3 foor by 1 foot, separated (in theory) into 27 spaces or 3x 9 by 9 grids... and I most just went with the flow... floe. :)

      Delete
    2. Aaah, I get you now - so the ice doesn't really matter at all, but it sure does make it look a lot cooler!

      Delete
    3. Correct Mathyoo, however I'm guessing we'll house rule something for a few games for a bit if addedd excitement

      Delete
  3. This looks promising! When the mojo appears you just need to go with the flow!

    I like the look and idea behind this.

    Is it finished now?

    How about now?

    Now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Johnny, that's exactly the kind of thing my other half says... "Is it done yet... How about now?" :)

      Delete
  4. A nice idea and looking very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint. It just seemed like a pretty simple idea that seemed like it wouldn't be too difficult to pull off, we'll see about that I guess!?

      Delete
  5. Great start dude! It looks good now, can't wait to see it painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. It's coming on and I'm quite excited about getting it finished.

      Delete
  6. Water boards will make for some veryinteresting engagements, good addition to your terrain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly hoping they turn out well and I can see some special house rules being used too!

      Delete
  7. This is a lovely idea for a board, it'd be very interesting to fight on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, we're definitely looking forward to adding the boards to the terrain selection

      Delete